Thursday, November 1, 2012

J Week

Monday
Library Day! On the way to the library every week we discuss the letter, the sound and a few words that we can see that it starts with.
I asked him, "Who's name starts with the 'J' sound?"
To that he replies, "Daddy!"...technically, yes, that it true.
I say, "Yep, Jaron does start with J, but how about someone in the car?"
He says, "Mommy!"
Um...no sweet child. We had a good talk about how Javin starts with the 'J' sound.
We had a ton of fun at the library today, normally I grab books while Javin quietly runs around informing all the other kids at the library what letter week it is or he goes and plays on the computers. Today, though, he helped me pick out the first few books and he even found a board book he wanted to get that had a "J!" on it.

When we got home we read:
The Jellybeans and the Big Art Adventure by Laura Numeroff (good)
Sheep in a Jeep by Margot Apple (great)
Josefina Javelina by Susan Lowell (great)

Tuesday

I'll be killed for this when he's 16, but 1st pee pee on the potty!
Jungle Day. We woke up on the right side of the bed for once, it was amazing! I am not a morning person and I have passed that on to my child, unfortunately. But this morning we woke up chipper and excited to try and go pee pee on the potty! I bribed him with a special toy if he did, who knew that going to DI for a toy was so motivating? I gave him a crap-ton of apple Juice and we (he) sat on the singing potty in the livingroom so we could watch Junglebook while we waited for something to happen...and it did! YAY! Luckily, I wasn't naive enough to think that it was the end of diapers, but its a great first step. We went and got him a car garage from DI and some cars from Kid to Kid. He was SO happy with his toys that he wasn't interested in the potty the rest of the day.
I was able to pry him away from the cars to read a few books:
Deep In The Jungle by Dan Yaccarino
Just The Thing by Damian Harvey (good)
Bedtime in the Jungle by John Butler (great)
Jungle Gym Marsha Gray Carrington
If I were a Jungle Animal by Tom & Amanda Ellery (good)


Wednesday

I tried to set the day off good with another pee pee in the potty, you know, make a routine, Javin wasn't interested in anything potty related. I threatened him that we'd stay inside all day and not watch any tv if he didn't pee on the potty (probably not the best tactic, but it worked). He peed and we left, good thing too, I could see him really weighing the choices in his mind. We went to Jump Around Utah, a blow-up playground place on 700 E 1700-ish S, of course Javin LOVES it. He Jumped for hours and still pitched a fit when we left.
I read these while Javin reluctantly sat on his potty:
Jack & Jill by Daniel Kirk
Here Comes Jack Frost by Kazuno Kohara
Jubal's Wish by Audrey Wood
John, Paul George & Ben by Lane Smith

Thursday
Wrong side of the bed morning (aka. most mornings) and I didn't want to deal with bribing or threatening so no pee, oh well. The morning moved along with absolutely no motivation, but we read:
Adventure of Meno by Tony DiTerlizzi (weird)
Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes by Brian Cleary (LOVED)
The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Lord (great)
And by noon we made some PB and Js, while I finished up our Halloween costumes for the Haunted Library.

Tara gave us a yummy treat, Peanut Butter Jelly Bars - They were delish and of course, I didn't get the recipe. However, I found one online from Martha, so you know its good - here.

Friday
We met up with my sister, Hollis, at my nephew's grave (I hadn't been there). Javin and I had a good talk about my nephew, Josh, and how some day we'll see him again - its hard to talk to a 3 year-old about death. On our way back to the freeway we stopped at Jamba Juice, one of our favorites.

And we made paper plate Jack-o-lanterns, instead of a real one because of family time restrictions - I wanted Mr. Robbins to be apart of the pumpkin carving, but the only time we are all together is late at night when Javin is in bed :(  Oh well, paper will do.

No comments: